Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A Toddler's Malice

Grayden had his doctor's appointment today, he is 16 months this week. He did really well, charmed the doctor and stayed about 70th percentile in height and 50th in weight. Then he had to get 4 shots. One in each leg and each arm. The nurse did it as quickly as she could, but as you can imagine, he was very unhappy about it. He cried a minute and then I offered him the fruit snacks I had brought for that exact purpose. It mostly worked and other than a few more whimpers and pointing to his biceps, he recovered.

As I walked out of the room, I saw the nurse there, and remembered that I didn't get the printout of the height and weight charts. I asked her if she would get them for me, and when she looked up and said she would, Grayden, who I was holding at the time, gave her a big scowl and said, "Ow". She laughed at that, but then quickly apologized to him, that she was just doing her job. She left to get the printout and we waited at the door of the room, talking fora few minutes to another aide who was in the hallway. Grayden was all smiles. When she brought it back, Grayden saw her and frowned and again said "Ow". He apparently holds a grudge. And never forgets a face.

I hope these qualities aren't long term.

No comments: